On boarding members
This page documents the process to on board new members to all of the systems at HackRVA.
Print (or find a preprinted copy on the desk) Editable-Member Orientation Checklist
Some of the items on the list are explained below. Go through the checklist and emphasize that the members do what gets done. There is no staff.
- Have the new member sign up on PayPal at https://www.hackrva.org/blog/membership/
- Have the new member read and sign the hackrva membership agreement (This is a download link. Print it, or you may find copies on the clipboard on the counter over the drink fridge.)
- Go to the membership portal ( you must be on the internal network) (There is a tablet on the counter with this running, but it often needs to be restarted.)
- Enter the email address that the new member used to sign up in PayPal
- If you see an error message that says something like
There are no recorded payments in the last month from <email>then either the new member did not successfully subscribe on paypal or they used another email address. Have them review their paypal information and retry
- You will then come to a screen where it asks for the rfid tag number:
- Get the new member an rfid tag from the drawer in the main room, near the drink fridge.
- Scan the tag with the scanner so it fills in the rfid field on the form (If you run into difficulty, you can enter this manually; the number is imprinted on the tag)
- Once you submit the form the new member will receive a slack invite and will be able to use their rfid tag. (Sometimes the invitation does not work. You can invite them from Slack.)
- Test the rfid tag on the outer door to make sure the new member can gain access.